Author Topic: E46 Window Issue  (Read 3187 times)

Offline tenaciousduck

• Enthusiast
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
    • Obsessive Detailing
  • Vehicle: 2004 330CI ZHP
E46 Window Issue
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out here.

My driver window is currently stuck in the down position - It will not roll up. Generally with these cars I would jump straight to the regulator, but I'm not so sure here - As the button for the window control generally has a 2-step up (manual-auto), it no longer does. When driving today, the 'auto' part just seemed to disappear from the button. It feels kind of loose and just is not responsive.

On another note, when I try to go up or down, I do hear what I believe is a relay 'click' under the dash, and that is the only noise. Would you think it could just be the button that is gone? I believe when the regulator is gone you hear the crunching noise, so I think it is just this damn button! Also, if I buy a replacement do I need it coded?

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:57:16 PM by tenaciousduck »
2004 330CI ZHP // Stealth Grilles // CS Splitters // ECS Strut Tower // More to come!

Detailing || Programming || Everything Tech || Magic

Need Detailing Product Reviews, Tips, and Procedures? Check out our website! - Currently Under Construction - @
www.obsessivedetailing.net

Offline Dr. Anthony

• Anthony Barone
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AlbertaBimmers
  • Vehicle: E92 M3
Re: E46 Window Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »
Glad I had a window switch for you!  Was nice to meet you guys.
2008 E92 M3
2008 535xi Msport

Offline tenaciousduck

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Obsessive Detailing
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:35:07 PM »
Great to meet you as well, and thanks for having that part handy  ;)

Window is fixed everyone!
2004 330CI ZHP // Stealth Grilles // CS Splitters // ECS Strut Tower // More to come!

Need Detailing Product Reviews, Tips, and Procedures? Check out our website! - Currently Under Construction - @

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out here.

My driver window is currently stuck in the down position - It will not roll up. Generally with these cars I would jump straight to the regulator, but I'm not so sure here - As the button for the window control generally has a 2-step up (manual-auto), it no longer does. When driving today, the 'auto' part just seemed to disappear from the button. It feels kind of loose and just is not responsive.

On another note, when I try to go up or down, I do hear what I believe is a relay 'click' under the dash, and that is the only noise. Would you think it could just be the button that is gone? I believe when the regulator is gone you hear the crunching noise, so I think it is just this damn button! Also, if I buy a replacement do I need it coded?

Thanks guys!

It sounds like you got this all figured out thanks to the good doctor, but for future reference...

Window control units (drivers side switch, or central switch) can have the contacts gum up over time. They can corrode or develop build up (dirt, soot, etc) on the electrical contacts. Before purchasing expensive replacements from the dealer it's always worth a shot to physically remove the switching unit, disassemble it, remove all the buttons and physically clean each contact. If this is the cause it should be fairly obvious with the contact patch having black residue on it.

To clean, water and soap will often do the trick. Wet a rag, dab a small amount of hand soap on it and scrub the contacts.

Re-assemble and test. It should be roughly 30-90 min start to finish including removal from the vehicle if you are familiar with disassembling the interior. If you still have the old one it's worth a shot to try and fix it up.
Ian - Aftermarket Electronics Installer "If you haven't burned the skin off your hand, you aint doin it right!"

2009 Jet Black E90
LED AE | AE DRL Mod | BMW Performance Intake + Charcoal Filter delete | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Stage 2 | M3 Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shift

Offline Dr. Anthony

• Anthony Barone
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AlbertaBimmers
  • Vehicle: E92 M3
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »
Ian, his switch was weird.  Normally you feel the 2 different clicks.  His was very soft.

On the E46s, its very common for the window switch.. and EVEN more common is the hazzard lights.  They're right by the cup holders.
2008 E92 M3
2008 535xi Msport

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 12:18:19 AM »
Oh, like a mechanical failure in the mechanism? That's weird... Did you happen to take it apart by chance?
Ian - Aftermarket Electronics Installer "If you haven't burned the skin off your hand, you aint doin it right!"

2009 Jet Black E90
LED AE | AE DRL Mod | BMW Performance Intake + Charcoal Filter delete | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Stage 2 | M3 Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shift

Offline tenaciousduck

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Obsessive Detailing
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 11:03:18 PM »
No I haven't yet, but it's on my to do list. Essentially it lost the second 'click' for the auto up mode.

I quickly looked closely at it and it appears the switch is moving properly, so once I disassemble it I will probably see the damage. Would be interesting to see where the contact was lost, as even with the switch in that condition, I could hear a relay open and close when I attempted to operate the window

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk