Author Topic: HELP! Interiors switches/buttons not illuminating  (Read 4161 times)

Offline JoesE90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 1st gear
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: e90 330i
HELP! Interiors switches/buttons not illuminating
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
Hey guys, I have a weird electrical problem and need help figuring it out.
The radio buttons, steering wheel controls, dsc/lock buttons, headlight switch, and all window switches are not lighting up! All buttons do work however but i just cant see anything at night. When the headlight switch is at the 0 position it lights up fine, but as soon as i switch it to the drl or "headlights on" position, it doesnt light up and the above mentioned lights don't light up. Only things that light up when i switch on the headlights are the cluster, radio screen, heat controls, gear selector(P R N D) lights up faintly,  and sunroof switch.
A week before this happened, I replaced the angel eyes bulbs to LED ones and got the drl disabled (coding). All fuses checked out fine, i put the stock bulbs in and disconnected the battery for 30 mins and still same problem. Only thing i remember doing prior to this problem was pulling out one of the door locks actuator fuse and replace it with a higher amp one.
Anyone encountered anything like this before?

Offline EzFlow

• View Profile
  • Vehicle: E46 M3 ZCP
Re: HELP! Interiors switches/buttons not illuminating
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
check your interior illumination dial, see if its accidentally turned to the lowest settings lol :P
2005 E46 M3 ZCP
2012 E70 X5 35i MSport

Offline Grzes

• Baby Stig
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: 2009 BMW 335d
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »
so OP, have you had any success solving your problem, I am thinking updating my angel eyes to LED's eventually but I don't want that kind of troubles :)

Offline ZIPNBYE

• 1st gear
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: 2013 BMW M3 Individual, 2013 BMW X1 xDrive35i
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »
Interior light fuse?
Cheers,

Richard
2013 BMW M3 Individual
2013 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport

Membership Director - Northern Alberta BMW Club
Instructor - BMW Alberta Advanced Driving School
Instructor - Track Junkies
President - Wild Rose Miata Club

Offline JoesE90

• 1st gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
still have the problem.. all fuses are fine

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
Angel eye bulb swap should realistically have nothing to do with the interior lighting.

The fuse should not affect it either.

My guess is a coding mishap, try coding it back to the original settings and see if this fixes the issue. This could also be a failure at the switch and just a coincidence. If your headlights are working though this seems unlikely.

Also what values did you adjust with the coding? You should only need to adjust one line to enable angel eyes as DRLs
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:17:50 PM by Sparkie »
Ian - Aftermarket Electronics Installer "If you haven't burned the skin off your hand, you aint doin it right!"

2009 Jet Black E90
LED AE | AE DRL Mod | BMW Performance Intake + Charcoal Filter delete | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Stage 2 | M3 Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shift

Offline Grzes

• Baby Stig
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: 2009 BMW 335d
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
so I am sitting and reading this post again and hold on a sec, why coding had to be done to turn the angel eyes into the DRL, aren't they by default as DRL? 

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »
Yes, but not on all models. I don't know exactly which ones had it but I believe all pre LCI and all halogen LCI vehicles have high beams at half power as DRL's since the halos aren't bright enough. I want to say only 2010 or 2011+ Xenon models have halos as DRLs.

If you have a vehicle that didn't have halos as DRL's (all yellow angels) then coding is needed to adjust the bulb the car uses for DRLs. I'm also assuming you have an E90? Year and exact model would help narrow it down.

EDIT: I see you have an E90 330i. Canadian models would use the high beams at low power this coding would be required to fully mod it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:39:34 PM by Sparkie »
Ian - Aftermarket Electronics Installer "If you haven't burned the skin off your hand, you aint doin it right!"

2009 Jet Black E90
LED AE | AE DRL Mod | BMW Performance Intake + Charcoal Filter delete | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Stage 2 | M3 Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shift

Offline JoesE90

• 1st gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:02:13 AM »
Hey sparkie, daniel zio coded everything for me and i think he did it correctly. Anyways im going to contact him again to get it recoded or looked over. Another thing i noticed is when the headlight switch is in the off position, the switch lights up. but as soon as i switch it to the drl or headlights or auto, it wont light up. The switch itself is working fine turning the AE and headlights.

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:51:57 AM »
When you say DRL on the switch in assuming park lights?

So the switch is essentially working in reverse then? Makes me think this could be a damaged switch rather then coding then. Have you searched e90 post to see if similar issues have come up?

Many headlight switches now run on a negative loop with a relay to power lights. In other words the cars lights are powered through a separate circuit. Normally when something in the switch gets fried you lose functionality. Ie in late model Fords the headlights won't turn off when the switch goes. It's very odd that something like this would be reversed but I would have to look into how the switch was wired to help further. You can try picking one up from the dealer and swapping. If it doesn't work you can return the new switch.

With that said see if Daniel will code it back to the original settings as a test. If it fixed it then it's a coding issue. If it doesn't it's likely a switch issue. He's a compitant guy but maybe a value reset or something when it was coded. Either way it's a good test to see.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:54:20 AM by Sparkie »

2009 Jet Black E90