Author Topic: Coding Intro & Required Files  (Read 15874 times)

Offline Sparkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 69th gear
    • View Profile
Coding Intro & Required Files
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »
Hey guys,

As promised here is a link to all required files to code an E9x BMW. You will need other daten files for other chassis, although the E9x files may be compatible with E8x 1 series models. first link contains a DIY, second link is a dropbox file containing all the files I have spent hours scouring the internet for. Should save you some time, enjoy! (Files are current as of Feb 2014)

Edit:
Daten V49: https://mega.co.nz/#!9xpgwDKC!ZuwSXw5EP-HcLAlQLdj7ICV6H4Id1PvBok_msiEN4-A
Daten V50.2: https://mega.co.nz/#F!nshRWaLA!NbXQSw7903FIt0JdU81zCA

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4wdzk2x7aobip47/W7W6F5bqWE

Edit: Info added as questions have been brought up:

Files in the folder & what they do:
A. BMW Standard Tools 2.12 - Includes a multitude of programs for use with your BMW via the OBD port, including diagnostic software. Should include Edibas, INPA, NCS Expert, & Tool 32 (whatever that does)
B. NCS Expert Profiles - In older versions of NCS Expert it was hacked to automatically create these profiles for your individual vehicle. This is not available with the new software unless you purchase the full version - this file provides profiles for you to use with your vehicle. This is essential.
C. NCS Expert English Patch - Like the name says, allows your program to be used in English vs German. The password to access the file is in the file name.
D. SP Daten E89 V49 - Version 49 daten files - specifically for the E89 (E9x) chassis. These can usually be found via google, these are the latest ones to my knowledge at the time of this post.
E. BMW E9x V1 Code list - My edited version of the list from E90 Post. Contains the same info but the E90 post one may have updated theirs further.

Coding I have completed (2009 LCI E90)
(So ask if you need help with any of these)
1. Digital Speed in Cluster
2. Disable high beams at half power as DRL's and replaced with Angel Eyes as running lights. You can use this process to make basically any front light a DRL or turn off the DRL system completely.
3. Add Auto Headlight Sensitivity to cluster (Allows you to adjust the amount of light needed for auto headlights to shut off, 3 settings: low, med, high - accessed via stalk & BC button.
4. Open/close windows & sunroof with fob (hold 'unlock' to roll down windows then open sunroof, hold 'lock' to close sunroof & windows. May come standard with some packages.
5. Double Blink Hazard lights -->
BMW E90 Custom Programming - Double Hazard Flash
From a safety perspective I find this very useful. I pulled over once to call 911 on the Henday Eastbound near the 91st exit, most cars passing slowed right down as they went by. Draws more attention, and makes drivers take notice not to smash into you lol.
6. Had to re-code AE's and park lights on when unlocking with auto headlights on. When I messed with coding my AE's as DRL's I accidentally messed with the wrong code the firs time and turned this off.

Before you start:
1. Backup, backup, backup! Make sure you have a copy of the default settings before making any changes.
2. Understand what is happening: Coding is not like hacking a car. You are not changing anything in the cars computers except like a checklist, telling it to turn on or off different items. Think of your modules as a breaker panel with several options per breaker. You are simply saying, "I see we have single blink hazards activated, we will change these to double blink" You can't magically add options to your car without additional modules (ie bluetooth) and depending on the year of your vehicle you may not be able to code everything in the list. Like I said above your are just telling the computer which items on the checklist to turn on or off, that is it. It's that simple!
3. Read the tutorial. It will be difficult at first but after two or three successful flashes to the module you should understand it!
4. This is not free, you will have to spend about $100 on a cable unless you already have one. But considering that you can use it on any BMW (any OBD II port really) and use it to diagnose check engine lights/do the functions of a code reader its worth it if you are into doing this stuff on your own vs relying on the shop to do it. (Cable indicated in E90Post tutorial below)
5. Annddd... Make sure your battery is FULLY charged before beginning. I nearly drained mine the first time I did this.

***Anthony Edit - Thanks sparkie!***

Just in case anything happens to the e90 link, here is the info.

Video- close all windows and sunroof with FOB
close all windows and sunroof with FOB

TUTORIAL
Note: all files needed are in ncsexpert.rar and DIY is a pdf as a separate file!   Enjoy!

Order this cable Updated!   U
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=16

Program files
http://rapidshare.com/files/429882289/NCSEXPER.rar   

DIY in PDF format
http://rapidshare.com/files/429875523/NCS_DIY.pdf

Coding examples (for 5 series)
http://forums.5series.net/topic/106042-car-coding/page__st__15   

This will be your best friend at all times, especially in the bad times
http://translate.google.com/#de|en| 

I have created a video for those who are having troubles or have no idea
coding example finished

What can I code? What values do I have to change?
Here is a spreadsheet that Neutrino45 (a member on e90post) is administering :)
You have to request access to it, please do not delete anything in it.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsRdcghkYQ0vdDlEZEZvSWh3MlQtNUpQWXg3NXdZU1E&hl=en&authkey=CPqY7sEC#gid=0

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:24:40 PM by Sparkie »
Ian - Aftermarket Electronics Installer "If you haven't burned the skin off your hand, you aint doin it right!"

2009 Jet Black E90
LED AE | AE DRL Mod | BMW Performance Intake + Charcoal Filter delete | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Stage 2 | M3 Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shift

Offline Rob.K

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: 2008 135i 6MT
Re: Coding Intro & Required Files
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »
Thanks Ian!!

This installs on Windows 7 or 8 64bit?
Current - 2008 135i 6MT | JB4 | BMS DCI | CP-E FMIC | ER CP | Meth Addict | BMS DP's
Current - 2008 4.8i X5
Sold   -    2007 335xi AT | JB4 | BMS DCI | CP-E FMIC | ER CP | Meth Addict | AR DP's | Vanguard Exhaust | 12.1@117

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
Confirmed for windows 7 x64 without having to host a previous version of windows. I would imagine it works on windows 8. Should work with both x32 & x64 systems, BMW Tools 2.12 is the latest version as far as i know.
Ian - Aftermarket Electronics Installer "If you haven't burned the skin off your hand, you aint doin it right!"

2009 Jet Black E90
LED AE | AE DRL Mod | BMW Performance Intake + Charcoal Filter delete | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Stage 2 | M3 Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shift

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
Should also mention this includes INPA, NCS Dummy & NCS Exper

2009 Jet Black E90

Offline AWD403

• 1st gear
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: 07 335xi
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:40:56 PM »
Nice sparkie

2007 335xi, Custom Stage 3 Tune, JB4, VRSF Downpipe, STETT Cold Air Intake, VRSF 7" Intercooler, Eibach Pro Kit, Vanguard, Race Gas...blah...blah...blah, let's do this!

Offline Rob.K

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:51:30 PM »
Confirmed for windows 7 x64 without having to host a previous version of windows. I would imagine it works on windows 8. Should work with both x32 & x64 systems, BMW Tools 2.12 is the latest version as far as i know.

Awesome thanks mang!! Will download once I get home
Current - 2008 135i 6MT | JB4 | BMS DCI | CP-E FMIC | ER CP | Meth Addict | BMS DP's
Current - 2008 4.8i X5
Sold   -    2007 335xi AT | JB4 | BMS DCI | CP-E FMIC | ER CP | Meth Addict | AR DP's | Vanguard Exhaust | 12.1@117

Offline Rob.K

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
Should also mention this includes INPA, NCS Dummy & NCS Exper
Hey Sparkie, I need to install the required Daten files before installing BMW Standard Tools, correct? I'm getting 'The wizard could find EDIABAS in the default directory...blah blah"
Do you have a link to the newest one?

Also, what is the tcm801x64.exe for?
Current - 2008 4.8i X5

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »
TCM is Total Commander. It's a program that allows you to easily find/replace files.

As far as coding applications its extremely useful for updating daten files with the new versions - it checks the files and identifies the ones which are identical allowing you to replace them easily/quickly (If I remember right, Google Windows total Commander for more info)

My mistake on the Daten files - Daten files Version 49 (Issued March 2013 I believe) are uploading as I type. Should be ready for download within the hour.

EDIT: I lied - Dropbox is telling me it will take 19 hours to upload the file. It's over 3 gigs as a .rar file lol so be ready for a decent download time. Should be uploaded within a few hours depending on bandwidth
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:24:58 PM by Sparkie »

2009 Jet Black E90

Offline StrayE82

• 09 135i M-Sport
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: 2009 135i
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
omg.. i can't understand anything...
Anyone got the cable and wanna come try?
I got all the files and everything ready on the laptop lol
09 135i M-Sport

Offline Dr. Anthony

• Anthony Barone
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AlbertaBimmers
  • Vehicle: E92 M3
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »
Ian, question for you.
I finally got it installed. 
Rob came over and tried to read my 135 so I can check actual mileage.  I believe the screen required was shift+f6 or shift+f7
Anyways, as soon as we press shift, the menu buttons on the bottom disappear.

I tried with my laptop and get the same results. 
I'm trying to log into CAS or even the LCM.

I'm trying to check what the mileage shows on the computer rather than the instrument cluster.
2008 E92 M3
2008 535xi Msport

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »
using INPA?

I think you can check mileage using INPA but I've never done it before, when it warms up I can give it a try on mine. To log into the CAS you will likely need to use NCS expert to read it

2009 Jet Black E90

Offline Dr. Anthony

• Anthony Barone
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AlbertaBimmers
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 06:37:17 PM »
Yup. I figured I'd be able to see it with inpa. One screen showed me the cluster's mileage but i wanted to find out actual km
2008 E92 M3
2008 535xi Msport

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
I had no idea there was a difference?

2009 Jet Black E90

Offline Dr. Anthony

• Anthony Barone
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AlbertaBimmers
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 06:47:18 PM »
Yup.the lcm saves the kms. If the cluster gets swapped out and the numbers don't match it'll still display the mileage on the gauge cluster but will also show a tamper dot so people know that's not the correct mileage. Its saved in 3 spots. If one of those are different from the other it'll trip and the tamper dot appears. In my case previous owner put an m3 cluster in there and didn't code it at all.
2008 E92 M3
2008 535xi Msport

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 07:00:26 PM »
Cool haha. I see where you're coming from. Yeah, NCS expert will get you the CAS but I would guess mileage is probably on the KOMBI as it controls RPM, speed, etc.

I looked at my CAS NFRM and KOMBI readouts and i dont see mileage indicated. Try the WinKFP program see if that helps u find it? Lists VIN and other vehicle info

2009 Jet Black E90