Author Topic: How to start your BMW with no key (useful for cold weather)  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Sparkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 69th gear
    • View Profile
How to start your BMW with no key (useful for cold weather)
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:21:18 PM »
Since we've had such cold weather lately I'm sharing my 'poor mans BMW remote start' process. Works on late model (06+) without comfort access. Might work with comfort access, give it a try...

1. Freeze your tits off and get into BMW. The door must be closed
2. Fob in, foot on brake/clutch, push to start
3. Wait for the startup dash lights to turn off (airbag, e brake, etc)
4. Keep foot on brake, push to stop, fob out, push to start again. Vehicle should start with the fob out.
5. Get out and lock your BMW via fob. The car is locked, not sure of security systems are active but I doubt it. The risk doing this is if someone breaks in the can drive away until the vehicle is shut off, then it needs the fob to start again. To onlookers it looks like it's running via remote start.

When ready to leave unlock the car, get in, put fob in or keep in pocket. If you keep it in your pocket you must reinsert the fob/remove it prior to locking the vehicle.

With comfort access you can skip steps 3-4
Ian - Aftermarket Electronics Installer "If you haven't burned the skin off your hand, you aint doin it right!"

2009 Jet Black E90
LED AE | AE DRL Mod | BMW Performance Intake + Charcoal Filter delete | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Stage 2 | M3 Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shift

Offline Rob.K

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: 2008 135i 6MT
Re: How to start your BMW with no key (useful for cold weather)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:34:24 PM »
Awesome! I don't think many people know about this
Current - 2008 135i 6MT | JB4 | BMS DCI | CP-E FMIC | ER CP | Meth Addict | BMS DP's
Current - 2008 4.8i X5
Sold   -    2007 335xi AT | JB4 | BMS DCI | CP-E FMIC | ER CP | Meth Addict | AR DP's | Vanguard Exhaust | 12.1@117

Offline Dr. Anthony

• Anthony Barone
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AlbertaBimmers
  • Vehicle: E92 M3
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
Very cool. I forgot all about this one. I used to just leave my keys in the car and walk away. Even when grocery shopping with my e90. Leave car running and do my groceries. Not very smart but meh I stayed warm after shopping lol
2008 E92 M3
2008 535xi Msport

Offline Sparkie

• 69th gear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
^^ LOL

My old barber did that, his car got jacked and insurance was like... umm no, we wont cover a new one sorry. But he told them he left the keys in the ignition haha.
Ian - Aftermarket Electronics Installer "If you haven't burned the skin off your hand, you aint doin it right!"

2009 Jet Black E90
LED AE | AE DRL Mod | BMW Performance Intake + Charcoal Filter delete | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Stage 2 | M3 Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shift

Offline xlr8tion

• 1st gear
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: 2009 BMW 135i
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 08:53:08 PM »
this is awesome, been packing both sets of keys in my pocket and leaving the fob in the ignition and locking doors with second one,  this will look more like an autostart  woohoo

Offline e90nate

• 1st gear
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: E90 335i
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:07:50 AM »
thanks guys i dont have comfort access and this worked great. however i did discover you can drive without the key in afterward. i started the car and let it warm as indicated this morning then proceded to drive to work, when i got to work and shut off the car and went to remove the fob i realized i had not put it in. maybe our cars all come with comfort access and it is just not enabled

Offline Dr. Anthony

• Anthony Barone
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • AlbertaBimmers
  • Vehicle: E92 M3
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »
thanks guys i dont have comfort access and this worked great. however i did discover you can drive without the key in afterward. i started the car and let it warm as indicated this morning then proceded to drive to work, when i got to work and shut off the car and went to remove the fob i realized i had not put it in. maybe our cars all come with comfort access and it is just not enabled

Its only because it searches for the transponder upon startup.  When you start the car and it sees the signal, it doesn't ask for it again.

Otherwise if  your key somehow failed, your car would stall while driving.
2008 E92 M3
2008 535xi Msport

Offline e90nate

• 1st gear
    • View Profile
  • Vehicle: E90 335i
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
That makes sense. It was still kind of cool to see haha